Recipe for category (10lbs to 25lbs. to lose)
Chicken, Spinach and Ricotta Quesadillas
- 8oz. 99% fat free boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil divided
- Ground pepper
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 1 bag of spinach
- ¾ cup fat free ricotta cheese
- ½ cup navy beans drained and washed
- ½ cup low fat mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup fresh herbs chopped (parsley, rosemary ect.)
- Juice from ½ lemon
- one pinch of fresh ground nutmeg
- 8 6-inch whole wheat tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Rinse chicken and pepper. Place chicken on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 14 to 17 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove and cool.
3. Heat 1 tsp. oil in a large ceramic sauté pan over medium high heat. When hot add red bell pepper and onion and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add spinach just until wilted and set aside in a paper towel lined bowl and let cool.
4. In a large bowl combine ricotta and beans and mash beans slightly. Add mozzarella cheese, herbs, lemon juice and nutmeg. Season with pepper and stir until well mixed.
5. When chicken is cooled down, chop into small squares and add to cheese mixture.
6. A few pieces at a time, squeeze all the excess water from spinach mixture using paper towels and your hands. Discard liquid and add spinach mixture to chicken cheese mixture. Mix thoroughly until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
7. On a flat surface lay out tortillas and top with 1/3 cup mixture in the center of the tortilla. Fold in half, pressing flat gently until filling is a ¼ from edge of tortillas (this will prevent filling from leaking out during baking). Lightly brush both sides of tortilla with oil.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 14 to 17 minutes.Filling should be hot and tortillas crisp and lightly brown Let filling set for a few minutes before serving. ( Tip: make extra and freeze (two per bag) for up to 8 weeks.